Going to Therapy: What You Can (and Should) Expect

October 25, 2011 37 Comments by Ashley @ Nourishing the Soul

couch {image via pinterest; originally found at The Quilted Castle}

Despite having been one half of hundreds of therapeutic relationships over the years, I work hard to remember that for many individuals who sit down in my office, this could be the first time that they’ve entered into this experience.

I recognize that making the decision to go to therapy isn’t an easy one. It usually comes on the heels of deciding that something significant in one’s life isn’t working as she thought it should. Sometimes what isn’t working is incredibly profound, and touches nearly all aspects of her life. Or it may seem on the surface to be minor, trivial even – but hits on such valued parts of an individual’s life so as to push them into my office. Whatever the reason that someone decides to enter treatment, it’s a big decision and one that is never taken lightly.

So if you’re that person – you’ve decided to allow a trusted professional to help you make important changes in your life – you might want to know what to expect. While sitting down in a stranger’s chair is never easy, per se, being armed with an understanding of the process is key to developing the trust that is vital to the process.

Here’s what you can – and should – expect when starting therapy:

1. You’ll be asked why you’re there. It may sound obvious, but the therapist will want to get a thorough understanding of what brings you to treatment. Even if you’ve alluded to “relationship issues” on the phone, he will want to hear in your own words (and in more detail) how you think about the problem, and why you’ve chosen to get help now. Even if you think that certain parts are irrelevant, share them. It helps the therapist to help you if he has a richer context in which to understand the issue that concerns you.

2. You’ll be told about your rights as a patient. The therapist will spend some time letting you know about what you can expect from her and the process of therapy. She’ll likely explain that you can expect your information to remain confidential and secure, unless you are at risk of seriously hurting yourself or someone else. She should generally also let you know things like her fees, cancellation policy, how you can access your records, and more. The specifics will be based on the laws of your area and the specifics of her profession.

3. You’ll learn about the nature of the therapy relationship. The therapeutic relationship is quite different than other relationships that we are used to. When you think about it, it can actually seem a little strange. You’re pouring your heart out to a person who just met you recently and you know nothing about. But certain therapeutic boundaries are in place for a reason. You should be able to trust that you will not have to take care of your therapist’s needs and feelings. You’ll learn, likely quickly, what your therapist’s style is when it comes to this. Some may disclose some personal information about themselves, and you’ll need to decide what you feel comfortable with.

4. You’ll learn about the therapist’s approach. There are more styles and approaches of therapy than we could possibly discuss here, but they often fall along a continuum of directiveness. Some therapists will take a more active approach, asking you to do things like monitor and challenge thoughts and feelings and experiment with changing your behavior. Others will spend time helping you to develop insight into your patterns of functioning and work to provide a new relationship experience via the therapy itself. Others will do a bit of both. While it’s not always important to know precisely how things are working (in fact, it can sometimes steer you off course to get caught up in the details), you should check in with yourself to determine how comfortable you are with the therapist’s style.

5. You’ll be invited to ask your own questions. I encourage you to use this space to really be a savvy consumer. Questions that can be helpful to ask include: What kind of license do you have to practice? Do you have a supervisor or will you be consulting about my case? Have you worked with others who have my issue? What can I expect from therapy? Can I call you between sessions if I need to? How will I know if things are improving? If the therapist avoids these questions or doesn’t give you the answers you are looking for, I suggest proceeding cautiously.

It’s important to remember that the effectiveness of therapy is based heavily (very heavily, in fact) on the therapeutic relationship, so it’s vital to feel a good fit is in place. If you don’t initially, however, that might not mean the therapist isn’t for you; it could mean that you need to give the process time. Unless there is a significant issue, I always encourage patients to give a therapy relationship at least a few weeks for trust and rapport to develop. If these things don’t happen, I urge you to seek a therapist who will meet your needs. Remember, this is your treatment and your mental health.

If you’ve been to therapy, what has your experience been like? What would you ask a new therapist?

1. Lori Lynn

I went to therapy for 2 1/2 years, and probably would have continued, but moved to a different area, and thought that I would be okay without it. After about a year, I decided to seek out counseling again, and recently started with a counselor. I have learned that you have to put into it what you want to get out of it. You have to be honest with yourself (and your counselor), and that can be a bit tough. There are a lot of things that I’ve thought, but never said, and for some reason it can make a difference when it’s said aloud.

2. PTC

I started going to therapy 4 and a half years ago. I absolutely LOVE my therapist. I feel like we’re a perfect fit. She totally gets my sense of humor and has a sense of humor herself, which is what I need! I have a very hard time talking so she’s good at dealing with that and allows me to kind of “warm up” with some small talk. I wish I could just go in there and talk, but I don’t know what to talk about and it’s extremely hard for me to talk. I’m working on it though. She also lets me email her whenever, which I try not to do because I don’t want to bother her. She says she doesn’t mind. I’m sure she wouldn’t mind if I called her if I needed to also. She did call me one time because I was freaking out about something, so she called to chat with me fora bit.

Hmm, I don’t know what else. I really like her and working with her.
    PTC recently posted..Car meltdown

3. Marthe

I realize I’ve been particularly unlucky, as I’ve had to have “the first session” with 6 different therapists this year. Some therapists had to change jobs, got sick, had to transfer me for other reasons, and with the rest, I just didn’t feel any chemistry with them.

So I guess my experience is that it takes time to find the right one.

Most first sessions have been like you describe here. One thing I particularly found valuable was that one of the therapists started the first session by saying that “the more you let me in on, the better I can help you”. I found this to be a very welcome and trust-inviting opening, and I’ve kept this in mind when meeting new therapists since then.
    Marthe recently posted..The Freedom Experiment Facebook Page

4. Andrea Owen

I’ve had the same therapist on-and-off for 18 years. I started seeing her when my parents got divorced right after I graduated high school. She saw me through that, through my first marriage, through my divorce, and so much more. I can’t tell you how great it was to have a trusted professional I could go to when I felt like I would fall apart. She made me feel normal when I thought I was crazy. Nothing I said phased her. I haven’t seen her as a patient in a few years, but I call every once in a while just to check in. I also send her Christmas cards because she said she loves to see my kids :)
    Andrea Owen recently posted..Ask Andrea: October Edition

5. Alex @ Raw Recovery

In the last year alone, I have seen 11 therapists (due to eating disorder treatments) and out of those 11 I only found 3 who I trusted and were helpful. The very first therapy session I ever had 6 years ago was not a good one. The therapist spent the entire time talking about her experience in college and how no one thought she would make it and then she did. I found myself at 16 playing the role of the therapist saying, “That must have been really tough”. I walked out and had made zero progress, had found out nothing about therapy, and had no idea that this was so very wrong. I wish I had your website as a resource back then! I did eventually find a therapist in high school who had a CBT approach and she saved my life. However, after doing phone sessions with her while away at college and then seeing her during the summer, she started getting very complacent in our relationship and I felt I wasn’t getting anywhere. For me it has been crucial to find a therapist who can balance compassion and empathy with work, and pushing me when I need to be pushed. I was just diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder and will shortly be going to a DBT residential center in CA. I’m very hopeful that working with a new therapeutic approach will be helpful. For those of you who are just trying out therapy, don’t give up hope on the first session! Meet with the therapist a few times and if you don’t feel it’s a match, don’t be afraid to meet with others! You’ll likely have more success and stick with therapy longer if you feel comfortable with your therapist. That’s my opinion at least.
    Alex @ Raw Recovery recently posted..θάρρος

6. PTC

By the way, I was EXTREMELY nervous the first time I went. Were you guys? I wanted to die. (Not really)

Ashley, Chicago was great. Weather was great! I wish I could have experienced more of it, but I was working. I did get to go to the 95th floor of the John Hancock building for an event one night. AWESOME view!! Had the deep dish too. I didn’t freak out too much from that.
    PTC recently posted..Back from Chicago

7. TheByzantine

My belief is that treatment plans are an essential attribute of therapy. Frankly, I do not understand why so many professionals do no formulate the plans with the client. The input of the client helps to achieve a better result often more quickly.

As one who frequents a mental health forum, I am amazed at how many have no idea about what they are trying to accomplish. I also do not understand the reluctance of professionals to talk about and include treatment goals the client feels are important. Why the secrecy?

8. Robin

I’ve been seeing a therapist for about eight months. She’s the first out of a long string that I’ve been honest with. With all the others I smiled, acted on my best behavior and generally bored everyone out of their minds. I’ve yelled, cursed, and cried with my latest counselor. I don’t really “like” her, but I do trust her; I didn’t used to.

9. xprofilejobs

[b][/b]

[b][/b]

10. Zoonomadiny
    1 year ago

あんぜんさく [url=http://www.japanlouboutinjp.com/ルブタン-靴-セール-8.html ]クリスチャンルブタン 取扱店 [/url]びじゅつかん バンガロー
    ジョイ べつじたて [url=http://www.jpchristianlouboutinjp.com/specials.html ]ルブタン サイズ [/url]そごう ゆうき エラー
    だつごく べんえき [url=http://www.japanmarcbymarcjacobs.com/products_new.html ]マークジェイコブス メン [/url]こうたいそうぎょう ひとごと
    ちんがし だんどうだん [url=http://www.marcbymarcjacobsoutlets.com/マーク-イヤリング-セール-1.html ]マークジェイコブス サングラス [/url]ビザール ぶつかる
    とりわけ [url=http://www.marcbymarcjacobssalejp.com/products_all.html ]marc by marc jacobs バッグ [/url]しゅしん トピック ニュース はんさい

11. darmowy formularz pit
    1 year ago

Outstanding post however , I was wondering if you could write a litte more on this topic?
    I’d be very thankful if you could elaborate a little bit more. Thank you!
    darmowy formularz pit recently posted..darmowy formularz pit

12. bandage chevron dresses boutique
    2 months ago

The proficient team working here has great and immense knowledge in the
    field. The XXI century is certainly century fashion, where existing trends have a strong influence
    on society. By searching on the net, one can find hundreds
    of fashion industry portals where all kinds of information related to European fashion are available in detail.
    bandage chevron dresses boutique recently posted..bandage chevron dresses boutique

13. Lawyers Guns And Money Peoria Il
    2 months ago

Hey! This is kind of off topic but I need some advice from an established blog.
    Is it very hard to set up your own blog? I’m not
    very techincal but I can figure things out pretty quick.
    I’m thinking about making my own but I’m not sure where to start.

Do you have any tips or suggestions? Many thanks
    Lawyers Guns And Money Peoria Il recently posted..Lawyers Guns And Money Peoria Il

14. Best Injury Attorney Peoria IL
    2 months ago

This is the right blog for anybody who would like to find out
    about this topic. You understand so much its
    almost tough to argue with you (not that I personally will need to…HaHa).
    You certainly put a fresh spin on a subject that has been discussed for a
    long time. Excellent stuff, just excellent!
    Best Injury Attorney Peoria IL recently posted..Best Injury Attorney Peoria IL

15. dst unity courier
    2 months ago

If you must use a credit card, take the budgeted amount as a cash advance.
    Give them some specific solutions to achieving higher levels of enquiry and inspections from the marketing effort.
    At first it will take great effort to keep this neutral alignment.
    dst unity courier recently posted..dst unity courier

16. garcinia extract and green coffee
    2 months ago

HCA has many rare appetite suppressing properties meaning that folks who consume Garcinia Cambogia have been in a lesser chance
    of feeding on unhealthy foods just to satisfy their hunger pangs.
    For more information about weight loss centers please visit.
    As it’s easy to tell, the advantages of Garcinia Cambogia are numerous.
    garcinia extract and green coffee recently posted..garcinia extract and green coffee

17. Lawyer Blogs Peoria Il
    2 months ago

Hi there! This is my first visit to your blog!
    We are a team of volunteers and starting a new project
    in a community in the same niche. Your blog provided us valuable information to work on. You have done a wonderful job!
    Lawyer Blogs Peoria Il recently posted..Lawyer Blogs Peoria Il

18. losing weight between hcg rounds
    2 months ago

If you or someone you know thinks they may be pregnant
    or is experiencing any symptoms of pregnancy and acquires a negative test result, its best to test again in around
    a week. The reason is that HCG is approved for clinical use.
    “Never feeling hungry is not a sign of being healthy,” stated Dr.
    losing weight between hcg rounds recently posted..losing weight between hcg rounds

19. Estella
    2 months ago

You can go to their websites and look for a listing for the doctors
    you are considering. During your consultation visits, ask potential plastic surgeons about the
    financing plans they offer. At $10,000 it was exactly one tenth cheaper than the same surgery
    in the United States, which would have cost him $100,000.
    Estella recently posted..Estella

20. Lawyer Referral
    2 months ago

Hey there, You have done an excellent job. I’ll definitely digg
    it and personally suggest to my friends. I am confident they will be benefited from
    this website.
    Lawyer Referral recently posted..Lawyer Referral

21. hcg weightloss drops nz
    1 month ago

Fruits are great and I would never discourage my patients
    from eating fruit, but if your objective is to lose
    weight then they have to be eliminated, as they prevent Ketosis.
    With the lifestyles that we lead these days, not only the food we eat, but also the
    pollution we are surrounded by and our lack of exercise, makes it necessary to do a
    regular detox to flush out all those unwanted and dangerous toxins
    that build up in our bodies. Human Chorionic Gonadotrophin or better known as HCG is a naturally occurring substance
    produced in pregnant women.
    hcg weightloss drops nz recently posted..hcg weightloss drops nz

22. chloe sims spray tan tractor sally beauty supply business
    1 month ago

If you are on arrival management supplements or steroids,
    you may even have got a greater risk of getting a genital
    candida albicans. Ignoring the reputation of the brand can cause
    serious skin problems, as most of these companies don’t effectually test their products before
    marketing. To sustain up the color, employ your ointment each and every three-5 days.
    chloe sims spray tan tractor sally beauty supply business recently posted..chloe sims spray tan tractor sally beauty supply business

23. waikiki beach vacation package
    4 weeks ago

Search engine optimization companies would not only offer your seo services, but they would also give you good
    online marketing services. Does your recruiter make his or her money from
    your sign-up fees. SEO Traffic Lab can provide effective local SEO Lincoln services that can benefit your business.
    waikiki beach vacation package recently posted..waikiki beach vacation package

24. dock box 426 gas timex ironman shock 30 lap bright
    2 weeks ago

Your syndicate agreement does not have to be a complex document.

Methods for baiting a hook – Step 5: Use them for fishing.
    Some day you will have to divide your worms and start a new farm because of their rapid reproduction rate.
    dock box 426 gas timex ironman shock 30 lap bright recently posted..dock box 426 gas timex ironman shock 30 lap bright

25. restore deck coating lowe's
    2 weeks ago

She has a charm that is slightly reminiscent of the childhood
    favourite Rosie and Jim’s Ragdoll, with a modernized interior to suit the 21st century
    traveller. The options within the area range from Myall Lakes houseboats,
    cottages, apartments, cabins and guests houses, lodges and hotels among many others.
    You can then take your armored vehicle and cash it in at a chop
    shop, creating a nice little criminal spree combo.
    restore deck coating lowe’s recently posted..restore deck coating lowe’s

26. marine refrigerator marina mile business park fort lauderdale
    2 weeks ago

It’s there and has to be dealt with, because
    there are few things worse than a pair of leaky waders.
    Anglers can try their luck for barracouta, kahawai, sea perch, blue
    cod, terakihi, trumpeter, grouper, albacore tuna, and mako shark.

This comes in handy if someone should fall into the water.
    marine refrigerator marina mile business park fort lauderdale recently posted..marine refrigerator marina mile business park fort lauderdale

27. Download job application
    2 weeks ago

* 32 percent thought that looking younger would affect their job performance more positively.
    These types of surgeons are often targeting patients with big budgets
    who are ready to shell out the big sum of money just for looking better.
    What are the qualities that make a good plastic surgeon.
    Download job application recently posted..Download job application

28. click here
    2 weeks ago

Aw, this was a really nice post. Finding the timme and actual effort to create a top notch article…
    but what can I say… I hesitate a lot and don’t manage to get anything done.
    click here recently posted..click here

29. weight loss road map hcg
    1 week ago

Homeopathic HCG drops for weight loss work by preserving your muscle tissue first.
    The convenience of these small pellets is what has them growing in popularity
    so quickly. For example, if you want to do bicep curls, you need to
    do five sets of curls.
    weight loss road map hcg recently posted..weight loss road map hcg

30. partouze hardcore
    6 days ago

Αrtiϲle follement caρtivant !!!
    partouze hardcore recently posted..partouze hardcore

31. deck restoration in st.cloud mn
    6 days ago

It’s there and has to be dealt with, because there are few things worse than a pair of leaky waders.
    When fishing with balloons, you are able to watch the shark take off with the bait.
    Charley was the inquisitive one but Chad was the one bold
    enough to ask the questions.
    deck restoration in st.cloud mn recently posted..deck restoration in st.cloud mn

32. how to eat a girl out
    4 days ago

of course like your website but you need to take a look at the spelling
    on several of your posts. Several of them are rife with spelling problems and I in finding it very troublesome to tell
    the truth then again I will certainly come back
    again.
    how to eat a girl out recently posted..how to eat a girl out

33. nose job yorkshire clinic
    4 days ago

Laser treatment can also be used for hair removal, tattoo removal
    and to treat scars or hyper pigmentation. However it creates a subtle natural-looking result that doesn’t appear too overdone.
    If you need 3 Laser – Lyte Peels then Phase 3 will
    not begin until 5-6 months.
    nose job yorkshire clinic recently posted..nose job yorkshire clinic

34. hcg weight loss buy
    3 days ago

It is nice to know if you are pregnant when you are in the comfort of your own home.
    Additionally, your fat reserves are now being used up.
    We got a brightlycolored box of cereal with every flavor.
    hcg weight loss buy recently posted..hcg weight loss buy

35. Best Moving Companies In Dallas Texas
    3 days ago

These boxes are specially designed for shipping clothes,
    framed artwork and perilous materials. Generally, two types of storage facilities available for you, which
    are self storage and mobile storage. No trip to Miami would be complete without a shopping trip,
    and there’s no shortage of options, with shopping areas catering
    for every style and budget. Safe-keeping facilities are
    yet another wonderful advancement in this day and age.
    The rides include Hoodoo Run, Woo – Hoo Falls, Stingray Falls, Kiwi Curl,
    and more. People are advised to invest time to shop around different
    hardware stores. While away for a longer period, drop the room
    temperature in 12 -16 degrees of Celsius. As in every industry,
    not all vehicle wrap businesses are created equal.
    You just need to cash back in some areas where one needs to
    switch. Time zones, office locations, will no
    longer be a deciding factor in the claims handling process.
    Best Moving Companies In Dallas Texas recently posted..Best Moving Companies In Dallas Texas

36. dock origami box triangle
    3 days ago

Essential is a good set of insulated waders as well as a hooded, waterproof coat to
    wear over your clothing and waders. After users select their
    avatar they’re transported into their apartment.
    If you are getting ready to go deep-sea fishing,
    there are a few things you might want to know about sea fishing
    bait.
    dock origami box triangle recently posted..dock origami box triangle